Collection: Giclée Prints

The word giclée was adopted by Jack Duganne around 1990. He was a printmaker working at Nash Editions. He wanted a name for the new type of prints they were producing on a modified Iris printer, a large-format, high-resolution, industrial press proofing inkjet printer on which the paper receiving the ink is attached to a rotating drum. The printer was adapted for fine-art printing.

Duganne wanted a word that would differentiate such prints from regular commercial Iris prints then used as proofs in the commercial printing industry. Giclée is based on the French word gicleur, the French technical term for a jet or a nozzle, and the associated verb gicler (to squirt out). Une giclée (noun) means a spurt of some liquid. The French verb form gicler means to spray, spout, or squirt. Duganne settled on the noun giclée.

A process by which high-quality prints are produced using an ink-jet printer. 
Pronunciation: gi·clée    /ZHē'klā/    zhee·klay                 --Wikipedia & Merriam-Webster

"These art prints are so well made that you can see the texture and brushstrokes of the original artwork. You just won't be able to feel it."          --Barbara